Completing Your Application
The Application will be available in September 2017.
The deadline to apply is 11:59 pm on November 1, 2017.
If you have not yet started your application, please review the information on the “Getting Started” page. Once you have completed the initial eligibility and application form, you can follow the steps below to complete the full application.
Step 1: Requesting Letters of Recommendation
You will submit the names and contact information for TWO people who will be submitting letters on your behalf.
- One letter should be from someone familiar with your educational accomplishments (i.e. professor, academic advisor, etc.).
- One letter should be from someone familiar with your public service activities or interests.
Once you submit this information, an email will be sent to the individuals with instructions for writing and submitting their letter. These letters will be submitted through our online system but it is your responsibility to remain in contact with the individuals you ask for letters of recommendation and ensure they submit those letters by the November 1 deadline. For additional questions regarding the recommendation process, please see our FAQ section.
Step 2: Submitting Your Application Form
A key part of your application is a form that captures information about you, your educational background, and financial situation. To complete this you will need the following information:
- Percent breakdown of college costs being paid by loans, grants, parents/guardians, yourself, and/or other sources.
- Your parent/guardian’s gross income and savings/assets from the previous year.
- Your gross income and savings/assets from the previous year.
- Unofficial academic transcript from all colleges or universities that you have attended so that you can enter information about relevant courses and GPA.
- Your preferred ranking for the Junior Summer Institutes.
NOTE: You can save and return to this form as many times as you need to prior to the deadline. However, in order to submit the application form you must click the SUBMIT button at the bottom of the form.
Step 3: Essay Statements
All applicants are required to submit information about his or her work history and volunteer experience as well as Personal Statements Parts I and II. If you are applying to UC Berkeley’s JSI you will be required to submit Part III. If you are applying to the UC PPIA Law program you have the option of submitting Part IV. For more information about each of these statements click here. All statement lengths are listed assuming you are working with a standard word document that is single-spaced with 1 inch margins.
Step 4: Additional Documents
To complete your application you will need to submit the following documents (as applicable):
- A copy of your current resume (Should be uploaded as a PDF).
- Unofficial academic transcript from all colleges or universities that you have attended. Note: Students who are accepted to the Junior Summer Institutes will be required to submit official academic transcripts. (PDF preferred, .doc or .jpg also accepted).
- A copy of your financial aid award letter for 2017-2018 (PDF preferred, .doc or .jpg also accepted). What is a financial aid award letter?
- Student AID Report (SAR) (PDF preferred, .doc or .jpg also accepted). What is the SAR?
- Parent/Guardian’s tax forms for 2016 if you are not receiving financial aid (PDF preferred, .doc or .jpg also accepted).